Tuesday, September 9, 2008

my future starts now

I'm making a change to this blog.

I am a freshman at Ohio University in Athens, and I was accepted into the well-renowned E.W. Scripps School of Journalism last October. Upon reading my confirmation online, I began to scream with joy. My parents rushed downstairs with horrified looks on their faces, only to be greeted by their oldest daughter jumping up and down shouting "I GOT INTO SCRIPPS" continuously.

I have just realized that I've never reacted like that to anything before in my entire life. Yes, I was overjoyed when I made the cast list of my first high school musical. Yes, I ran through the halls of my high school when I discovered my acceptance into the symphonic choir. Yes, I have posted many outstanding report cards on my fridge at home in Richfield.

But that particular October day marked the beginning of something huge. And I knew it, too. It's a bit scary actually.

Speaking of which, I attended my first Journalism 101 class today. I can honestly say it has been the most interesting class I've sat through thus far; it totally pertains to my future. Prof. Stewart told all 300 (that's a rough estimate) of us that our futures "start now". This statement frightened me. I've only been at OU since Friday and I feel so settled in already. However, it's still a huge adjustment from my sheltered high school bubble in northeast Ohio. I think this will ease as this week progresses further, and as I get more involved on campus.

So Prof. Stewart (or anyone else who happens to read this), I'm just letting you know that I am serious about journalism. I'm stepping out of my bubble, I'm meeting people, I'm willing to join imPRessions and other organizations.

My future has just begun.

No comments: